Pages

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

I have more than enough

I've started to write this blog post several times and each time I quit after the second sentence. This past week I "fasted with the poor" so to speak. I ate only rice, beans, chicken and bananas.



At first, I was really excited about this venture because I hoped to gain some kind of amazing perspective into the lives of the poor, the lives of children like Luisa, Ulrich and Kendy. I thought, "hey I could even post on my blog about how hard it is to eat the same thing every day for a week."


 But I found guilt instead.

The whole seven days I ate my beans and rice I was counting down the days until I could eat chocolate cake again. I didn't gain perspective on God's love for the poor. Even though I was eating the food most commonly eaten by the poor around the world, I was sleeping every night in my warm bed, showering every morning, wearing clean clothes, and eating three square meals a day- not worrying about when I would eat next.

Maybe I won't ever know what its like to be truly hungry. I may not be able to sympathize with the poor, but I know that I have more than enough, and I could be doing so much more. God calls us to help 'the least of these' not 'eat rice and beans to sympathize with the least of these'. This experience may not have been what I originally thought it would be, but it was definitely a wake-up call to do something.

God bless,
Dionne

No comments:

Post a Comment